Hello! I’m Melinda. I help pregnant women and moms be healthier, feel confident, and find their inner strength so we can not only be great for our families, but also have the life of our dreams being our best selves as well. I take a non-judgmental approach – I believe the only person who knows the right options for you is YOU. I strive for no Mommy-shaming here.
I’m a healthy pregnancy expert/writer/speaker, doula, Lamaze certified childbirth educator (though not currently teaching birth classes), advocate for physical and mental health, and a definite research hound. I love to go out and sift through all the stacks of research and medical terminology, distill that information down to what is actually useful to us in our lives, and present you with clear, concise options and action steps so you can make the best choices for YOU, YOUR family and YOUR situation. I am currently finalizing my online Confident Pregnancy course that will do all of that for pregnant women. I can’t WAIT until it comes out. With my doula clients, I specialize in women who are trying to manage complications or are dedicated to reducing their risk.
I often have clients tell me things like what Lisa D shared with me when I was her doula for her 3rd pregnancy, ” “I’m really convinced that your nutrition suggestions let me go full term with this pregnancy.” I also love hearing comments like this one, “I cannot thank you enough for how confident I felt.” Helping people to be healthier, reduce complications, and feel more confident, like that, makes me so proud and fuels everything I do.
If you are looking for ways to be healthier and reduce pregnancy risk, improve your confidence, and just love yourself more, I’d love to work with you, too!
My Professional Background
My experience in a nutshell:
- Began teaching childbirth classes in 2000 (That’s 17 years now!). I started as Bradley certified, then switched to Lamaze certification in 2006.
- Helped hundreds of pregnant women reduce their risk and prepare for birth.
- Attended over 30 births as a doula. I trained with CAPPA in 2004.
- Presented a 90 minute-talk at 2 separate Lamaze Conferences.
- Speaker at numerous other expos and events.
- Published online and in print.
- Author of the Pocket Pregnancy Guide: What to Eat When Pregnant
What am I most proud of, professionally? This:
My students and doula clients have a 1% incidence of preterm birth.
How cool is that? I was thrilled to see the preterm birth rate drop from 7% with the first 100 moms I worked with, to 1% after that. Talk about a reason to get up in the morning! 🙂
On a More Personal Note
I have been with my husband, Shawn Clark, since 1996. We have 2 wonderful children (now teenagers!) who were both born normally (aka, naturally, no medication), using many of the suggestions I have taught. When I am not writing or researching, I enjoy hiking, kayaking, horseback riding (when I can), lasertag, meditation, playing board games, dressing up as a pirate and doing volunteer events, and just getting to know new people. I like trying new physical activities – it is actually what helps keep me motivated to exercise (or re-motivate me when I fall off the wagon. Again.). Some of our family adventures have included paragliding, river sledging, canyoning/canyoneering, wakeboarding, skiing, and river surfing (ok, it was in a machine-driven pool). I also like to spend time living other people’s adventures by reading fantasy books (Wheel of Time, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, and Throne of Glass, to name a few) and entertaining biographies.
If you just have to know more, here are a few things most people don’t know about me.
- My college degree was a BMus in French horn performance, and I completed a year of a master’s degree in Musicology (the study of music history and theory).
- I collect orchids. Well, maybe 5 isn’t a collection (yet), but I do think they are awesome.
- I LOVE dragons and call my powerful, inner self “the Dragon.”
Want to learn more about how you can make your own pregnancy & parenting choices (and maybe work with me)?
Choose the thing to do next that suits you (told you I like to give you options!):
- Get a PDF of my free guide, How to Relieve 7 Common Pregnancy Symptoms Easily & Naturally and access to my twice-monthly super-helpful tips in your inbox here
Download Tips Now. OR
- Explore my top blog posts here:_____________. OR
- (If you are in Atlanta) call or complete this form to arrange a doula consultation.
Thanks for reading my story! I hope to have a chance to help you create YOUR personal and family story!