If you are looking for extra support for having a healthy pregnancy, you are in the right place.
As a Clinical Nutritionist, Researcher, Speaker, & Healthy Pregnancy Coach, and Certified Research Nerd (yes, that’s a thing! Well, maybe not officially 😉 ) – I specialize in examining how your body is working to determine where it may need support (nutritional or lifestyle) to help you have the best pregnancy possible.
Why have a pregnancy coach alongside an obstetrician or midwife?
It’s a great partnership, really. Your doctor or midwife helps you and your baby stay safe by monitoring your pregnancy and any problems that might come up, while I support you in lowering your risk of problems.
How? Read on. 😉
Let Me Introduce Myself
I’m Melinda Delisle, also known as Melinda Delisle-Clark. I help pregnant women and moms be healthier, feel confident, and find their inner strength so we can not only be great for our families, but also have the life we want being our best selves. I take a non-judgmental approach – I believe the only person who knows the right options for you is YOU.
I started teaching childbirth classes in 2000, just before my second son was born. I am Lamaze certified, Bradley Method and DONA trained, and am completing my Masters in Human Nutrition this year. I love figuring out how to solve problems, especially when it comes to making pregnancy and parenting better for all of us.
Since I started teaching, I have helped hundreds of women have healthier, more fulfilling pregnancies and births on their terms. I would honored to be part of your journey as well.
Melinda Delisle, MS, LCCE
Clinical Nutritionist, Researcher, Childbirth Educator, Speaker, &
Healthy Pregnancy Coach
My (Functional) Approach to Prenatal Health
Our bodies are amazing – every cell completes many chemical reactions (sometimes thousands!) every second, keeping track of what needs to happen and coordinating it all with other cells and systems in the body. Pregnancy makes the body work harder because of the amount of effort needed to create a whole new little human. This extra work stresses the body and can reveal weaknesses in our body systems which can turn into pregnancy complications.
Fortunately, our bodies give clues to tell us which systems are under stress if we know how to look for them, much like the tires on a car will go bald or be punctured before blowing out, an electrical wire will fray before causing a fire, or our throats will tickle and nose start to feel congested before a full cold settles in. That is what I do – I look at your body on a functional level to see how the biochemistry of your body is working and where those weak spots are. Then I use that data to create recommendations to support those weak spots. We then discuss the recommendations to come up with an action plan you can use to change habits, improve nutrition, or whatever else you need to help your body work better.
I have two ways we can work together:
Personalized Health Plan*
Best for any of the following circumstances:
- Low-risk pregnancies.
- Getting reassurance, preventing unexpected complications, “just in case.”
- Getting early warning of possible problem areas.
- Pregnant people with pre-existing conditions who want a plan for how to stay healthy and low risk.
- Moderate- to high-risk pregnancies.
- Pregnancy complications which are not time sensitive, such as gestational diabetes, hyperemesis, bed rest to prevent preterm labor, or perinatal depression or anxiety, who want a plan to help support their health professional’s management of their condition.
- Pre-conception and other adults wanting custom guidance.
- Review of existing lab results.
- Recommendations for additional labs, if indicated, including 1 functional lab test where indicated and available.**
- Comprehensive Health Interview.
- Findings & Initial Plan session.
- Written summary of recommendations and plan for you to share with your doctor or midwife.
- 1 Check-In session to help you tweak your plan as needed to fit your lifestyle after some time testing it. Typically about 4 weeks after the Findings & Plan session.
Priority Pregnancy Support for Time-sensitive Situations*
- Time-sensitive issues, such as threatened pre-term labor, borderline pre-eclampsia, swelling of face/hands, or anyone who feels the need for priority support.
- Getting guidance on how you can support your body’s best health in conjunction with your doctor’s medical care.
– NOTICE –
If you are experiencing headaches, dizziness, sudden swelling, sharp or intense abdominal pain, vaginal bleeding, or are afraid that you or your baby are in imminent danger, call your doctor or 911 immediately.
- Deep-dive review of existing lab results.
- Recommendations for additional labs, if indicated**
- Extended Health interview. NOTE – will take place within 48-72 hours, as long as intake form and existing lab results received.
- Findings & Initial Plan session, within 48-72 hours of the health interview.
- Detailed written summary of recommendations & plan, with scientific references and biochemical reasoning, for you to send to your doctor or midwife. Sent to you within 24-48 hours of the Findings & Plan session.
- Availability for questions from your doctor or midwife, if they wish to discuss the findings and recommendations by phone, web conference, or email.
- 3-4 Check-In sessions, to support and adjust as needed. Scheduled 4-10 days apart, as suits your situation.
- “Hotline” support during waking hours for questions if needed. Calls and/or messages will be returned within 4 hours between 8 am and 10 pm.
*Available for residents of the following states: AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, GA, HI, ID, IN, MI, NH, NY, OR, PA, TX.
Recommendations should be discussed with your obstetrician or midwife before making any changes to your health routine.
**Any recommended labs have an additional cost except as noted. Some of these labs may be covered by your insurance if requested by your doctor or midwife; other “functional” labs are available cash-only. Not all labs are available in all states, so I will try to only recommend labs which are available in your state. Review of results of any additional recommended labs is included in your package.
Not Sure If This is Right For You?
Working with me 1-1 is not for:
- People with life-threatening pregnancy complications that are likely to need induction, cesarean, or other emergency intervention within a matter of days.
- Anyone who is unwilling to make changes to eating and lifestyle habits.
- People outside the United States (Sorry! Maybe in the future).
I reserve the right to not work with anyone if I determine their case is beyond my current level of expertise, my help would not provide enough benefit, or there is a personality conflict. I support acceptance of all types of people, and do my best to be inclusive of race, religion, and gender identity.
How do you start?
If you’d like to explore working together, the first step is to answer a few questions and schedule a 20-minute consultation call. In this call, we will discuss your health situation, your goals, and anything else I need to know to determine whether or not I can help you.
I can’t wait to work with you!
What women are saying...
Lisa D. – 2 Previous Preterm Births
“I’m really convinced that your nutrition suggestions let me go full term with this pregnancy.”
Nancy M., First Time Mother
“You gave us a lot of confidence and courage. Your calm presence and expertise were more reassuring than any one specific act. I hope you continue helping mothers.”